Doug Kass Remembers Jim Seymour
I affectionately called Jim "Smails." My nickname reflected our shared fondness for the movie
Caddyshack and the character Judge Smails, played by Ted Knight.
I called him "Smails" because of his judicial qualities. He was contemplative, thoughtful and not prone to following fads. And as a well-respected judge should, he had an avuncular quality -- always instructive and helpful. At times, he was even professorial.
His body of work was superb -- at times, breathtaking -- even when we were in disagreement. I loved having him as an adversary because I knew that I would come out of our polemic far more educated than when we began.
I admired his insights and ideas. You don't have to look further than
Most people associated Smails with tech, but I knew better. His constant instant messages to me over the past 12 months revealed a knowledge base far beyond personal computers and wireless phones.
And those instant messages revealed a humorous side of him, one well versed in literature and wit.
That's what I will miss most about Smails.
The good die far too young.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV