Nessuah Zannex: Rating cut's main damage is to banks' images to foreigners
The main damage the downgrade does to Israel's banks is to their image, a Tel Aviv brokerage said today.
Discussing the credit rating cut from A-minus to BBB+ for Hapoalim and Leumi, Nessuah Zannex analyst Ronit Goodman said the unkindest cut is in the eyes of foreign bodies.
"Companies are having trouble recruiting investors and the banks are having trouble securing credit abroad. Granted, credit for businesses has grown more expensive since the rating cut, but only mildly so," Goodman added.
Foreign banks are reportedly refusing to grant long-range foreign currency credit to Israeli banks, which has created a crunch in forex-denominated credit for businesses in Israel. When companies can obtain forex credit, it costs them more than before the downgrade. But Goodman notes that the cost of credit had been rising before the rating cut.In the short run, she sees most businesses meeting the heavier financing costs, and generating more financing income for the banks. But in the medium to long run, these higher costs will cause more defaults on debt and bankruptcies, and more provision for doubtful debt for the banks, Goodman concluded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV