With bond yields at 12%, who needs stocks: Israeli stocks sink 2%
Tel Aviv stocks ended down 2% Sunday with losses almost across the board, in the wake of Wall Street's soggy performance late last week.
America's woes and the beating of regional war drums aside, there just isn't much enthusiasm for stocks anyway. "With bonds yielding 12%, who needs stocks?" said one market player. The yield on fixed-interest shekel denominated Shahar bonds has climbed above 12%. But Roy Laufer of Nessuah Zannex points out that the drop in Shahar bonds comes one day before a treasury offering of NIS 300 million worth of series 2670 bonds.
The Nasdaq tumbled 4% to end the week at a low of 1,139 points and the Dow rumbled south by another 3%, to 7,500 points.
In Tel Aviv, spooked investors sent the Maof-25 index gradually spiraling down 1.8% to 333.9 points, while the Tel Aviv-100 index fell 2% to 325.1 points and technology stocks retreated by 3.1%, weighed down by dual-listed shares. These were some of the steepest losses in weeks, as Israeli stocks had remained relatively resilient to the turbulence shaking world markets.The total volume of trade was razor-thin at NIS 135 million, attesting to the lack of interest in stocks. Drugmaker
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV