IDT Seeking to Buy WorldCom Units
IDT has forwarded to WorldCom CEO John Sidgmore a proposal to acquire its MFS and Brooks Fiber units and its MCI consumer and small business long-distance units for what IDT said was a total of $5 billion.
Like MCI, the Brooks Fiber and MFS units were acquired in WorldCom's acquisition spree in the late 1990s. WorldCom paid nearly $3 million for Brooks, which provides telephone services for businesses. MFS, acquired for $12 billion, is a leading carrier of Internet data.
WorldCom rocked the financial world last week when it announced it had inflated its earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA), a measure of cash flow, by $3.8 billion over the past five quarters.IDT, based in Newark, N.J., has operations including Internet-based telephone services and fiber-optic networks. The company is now notorious for buying up the remains of failed telecom companies. It has bought assets from such one-time highfliers as Teligent and Winstar Communications. IDT has a significant pool of cash after selling its stake in Net2Phone to AT&T (T). In regular trading yesterday, IDT closed at $16.42, down 41 cents or 2.44%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV