The Night Watch: Oracle, WorldCom Tick Higher
Technology stocks were mostly higher after the close, and traders were coming back to some names that have been unloved lately on Wall Street.
Oracle (ORCL), which just before the closing bell said it would at least meet analysts' estimates for the fourth quarter, was ticking up 0.2% to $8.68. Oracle closed the regular session strong, finishing up 10.7% to $8.66.
WorldCom (WCOM) was adding 2.5% to $1.45 on word it would get out of the wireless resales business and cut some of the 2,200 jobs at the division.
Volume was stronger than it has been in the last few days. In the first 90 minutes of trading, around 3.8 million shares changed hands among the top-20 volume movers on the Instinet platform.Among other active stocks, AT&T (T) was down 2.1% to $11.40, and Intel (INTC) was losing 0.1% to $28.15. Otherwise stocks were stronger. The Nasdaq 100 Unit Trust (QQQ) was up 0.1% to $29.70. Palm (PALM) was gaining 1.2%, and Sun Micro (SUNW) was adding 0.3%. Microsoft (MSFT) was up 0.2%. Altera (ALTR) was climbing 1.6% to $16.86 after the company said it expects to see sequential revenue growth this quarter of 4% to 6%, sticking with a prediction it made in its most recent earnings report. Competitor Xilinx (XLNX) was gaining 0.6% to $32.08.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV