CV Therapeutics Plunges on Downgrade
Biopharmaceutical company CV Therapeutics (CVTX) was downgraded by Morgan Stanley Wednesday morning on concerns about the market for one of its new drugs.
The brokerage firm cut its rating on CV Therapeutics to underweight from overweight, saying it believes the stock has reached its maximum price until the Food and Drug Administration approves the company's angina treatment Ranolazine. Morgan Stanley said it expects FDA approval for the drug in late 2003.
Additionally, Morgan Stanley expressed some concerns over the market opportunity for Ranolazine, as the drug might be forced to carry a prominent warning label highlighting risks associated with increases in the QTc interval, a measurement on the electrocardiogram that represents the interval between the contraction and the repolarization of the left ventricle of the heart. QTc prolongation has been associated with arrhythmias in previous studes.
CV Therapeutics was recently falling 17.4% to $20.15 on the downgrade after closing at $24.40 Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV