Profits, Guidance Come Down at Metris
Metris (MXT) said its first-quarter profits fell, and the company warned that its yearly results would be lower than previously expected.
The financial services company reported first-quarter operating income of $52.3 million, or 54 cents a share. These numbers were in line with analyst estimates according to Thomson Financial/First Call, but were down 7% from the company's year-ago results of $56 million, or 57 cents a share.
The company's primary credit card business decreased by $133.5 million in the first-quarter even as the company added 145,000 new accounts.
Metris also reduced its first-quarter net income by $14.5 million, or 15 cents a share, due to accounting changes requiring the company to recognize all derivatives as assets or liabilities.Due to a weak economy and falling consumer demand, the company warned that it is reducing its 2002 full-year outlook to earnings of $1.75 to $2.25 a share. Analysts had been looking for $2.75, according to Thomson Financial/First Call. Shares of Metris were recently trading down 31.9% to $13.00 in Instinet premarket trading after closing at $19.10 on Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV