Philips Posts Big Loss, Sees Difficult Markets
Philips Electronics (PHG) said it lost 2.6 billion euros in 2001, a somewhat worse result than analysts had forecast, and made cautious comments about the current year.
The Dutch electronics giant said sales fell 15% to 32.34 billion euros in 2002 from 37.86 billion euros for 2000. The loss in the latest year includes a restructuring charge of 1.7 billion euros, while 2000 included a gain of 9.6 billion euros. The company posted an operating loss of 1.37 billion euros, compared with an operating profit of 4.28 billion euros for the prior year.
"In general, we do not see markets strengthening. Therefore, we maintain a cautious stand on costs, capital spending, working capital and employment in 2002," the company said. Nevertheless, in a subsequent conference call, company officials said they expected to turn a profit in 2002.Philips' consumer-electronics segment had fourth-quarter sales of 3.25 billion euros, down 19%. Its semiconductors unit had sales of 940 million euros in the fourth quarter, a fall of 44% from a year earlier but up 5% on the third quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV