Protein Design's Drug Gets Mixed Marks
Protein Design Labs (PDLI) said Friday that a late-stage test of its experimental cancer drug Zamyl produced mixed results.
Zamyl is being developed to treat acute myeloid leukemia. In a late-stage test of 191 patients, 43% of patients taking Zamyl plus traditional chemotherapy drugs successfully reduced the number of cancer cells in their blood. This is compared with just 26% of patients taking chemotherapy drugs alone.
PDL called these results a success, but on an equally important measure, Zamyl failed. The company said patients didn't reach this "complete response" target within 70 days of starting treatment. This time target was the primary goal of the late-stage test.
In recent trading on Friday, the company's stock was lower by $1.71, or 4.2%, to $38.86.PDL is best known as a drug technology company that licenses its know-how to other biotech firms. But with products such as Zamyl, the company is trying to use its technology to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV