American Express Stockholder Since...
With discretionary spending going down and the ability of consumers to repay debt in question, most investors think it makes sense to steer clear of American Express (AXP). And in the near term, I totally agree. However, over the long haul, I wouldn't bet against these guys.
What makes me so optimistic?
American Express has a terrific brand, and it's expanded into many different facets of financial services, including annuities, banking, mutual funds, charge cards and investment advisory services. As a result, I can't help but think that its efforts to build a "one-stop shop" will ultimately be successful. Put another way, I have no doubt in the near term that the lingering economic uncertainty and business interruptions caused by last month's terrorist attacks will take their toll. But for the most part, the worst appears to have been factored into the stock price.
So is now the time to invest?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV