Sectors Mixed as Airlines Bounce Back, Insurers Don't
Several sectors retraced ground either gained or lost in yesterday's wild ride, with most airline shares ending higher despite concern about the timing of an aid package.
The Transportation Secretary said he hoped to have a package to aid the reeling industry through Congress by early next week. Investors, who were worried by talk of bankruptcies on Monday, sold on the news, having hoped for a quicker resolution. But the selling didn't erase all the gains.
AMR (AMR), the parent of American Airlines and TWA, closed up 12.1%, to $20.17. Delta Air Lines (DAL) also gained, up 11.5%, to $23.01. UAL (UAL), the holding company for United Airlines gained 8.6%, to $19.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV