The Daily Interview: Can Nokia Continue to Shine?
Apparently, not all warnings are created equally.
Recent Daily Interviews
Following up two depressing revenue warnings from
Investors could've cared less about sales growth, though, jumping for joy at Nokia's assertion that its margins and handset demand are still healthy, and sending its stock price up more than 10% Monday in one of the day's few bright spots. The stock was up again slightly Tuesday. We sat down with Morningstar wireless analyst Todd Bernier to see what all the fuss was about.
TSC: Investors had a very positive reaction to Nokia's announcement last week. What was behind that?
Bernier: They made their numbers on the handset side, but they missed their growth numbers on the network side. For Nokia, 70% of revenue is generated by handsets. That's the big story.
TSC: Even though we hear that there's not a new generation of handsets to compel buyers, it seems like the handset market is holding up much better than the base-station equipment market.
Bernier: If you're a
TSC: What do you mean when you say handsets are generators of revenue for carriers?Bernier: Carriers' goal is to get as many subscribers in the door as possible. So if that means continuing to subsidize the handset for their subscribers, so be it. At the end of the day, those subscribers are profitable to them. Putting new base stations up is not a profitable exercise for them. TSC: Coming out of last Tuesday's events
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV