Remembering Bill Meehan: Howard Simons
TSC Pays Tribute to Bill Meehan
Tony Dwyer's Tribute
Todd Harrison's Tribute
Justin Lahart's Tribute
James Cramer's Tribute
Brian Reynolds' Tribute
Howard Simons' Tribute
A Look Back at Some of Bill Meehan's Columns
Professor Andrew Lo of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology gave one of the more interesting addresses at the conference. Lo demonstrated, as much as one can, that some of the more common technical indicators and chart patterns do have a predictive capacity.
Bill Meehan's column on the following Monday, That Voodoo That We Do, cited Lo's work as evidence of technical analysis's contribution to the world of finance. This, to me, said it all: I'm proud of who I am and what I do. What more can any of us hope to believe when we awaken each day?
Readers of Bill Meehan -- and I was one; he was an analyst's analyst -- will recognize the reference to his signature description of the market as the Street of Dreams. This was never said in a braying or condescending way, nor did he ever gloat over his very many good calls on the market, higher as well as lower, during the past year.Bill, it's all a Street of Dreams. The minute we stop dreaming, the minute we stop believing, the minute we stop trying, is the minute this great country, this last best hope of humankind on earth, stops being America. There are flags flying for you today. You made a difference in my life and the lives of others. We shared some space once, and if I'm lucky, we'll do it again someday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV