Wireless Sector Plunges as Bad News Keeps Building
Wireless stocks and the companies that make products for the sector were hurting in late afternoon trading, following
The wave created by Motorola followed the splash made by earlier this week by
(ERICY), when the Swedish company
Shares of Motorola were getting crushed, falling $2.40, or 14.6%, to $14 in afternoon trading. Nokia (NOK) was down 85 cents, or 6.1%, to $13. Qualcomm (QCOM) was off $3.31, or 6.2%, to $49.90 and Ericsson fell 15 cents, or 3.7%, to $3.92.
Makers of the equipment for the wireless industry weren't faring any better. RF Micro Devices (RFMD) slid $1.49, or 6.6%, to $21.07. Triquint Semiconductor (TQNT) fell $1.49, or 8.1%, to $17, while Anadigics (ANAD) was off 65 cents, or 4.9%, to $12.65. Alpha Industries (AHAA) sank $1.12, or 4.5%, to $24.05. Texas Instruments (TXN) was also on the downside, skidding $1.54, or 5%, to $29.30.On Thursday, Motorola said third-quarter revenue would be flat with the prior three months. The company previously expected a 5% top line increase. The company forecast a loss of 5 cents to 8 cents a share, wider than previous predictions, and set plans to cut 2,000 additional jobs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV