Motorola Warns Again
Motorola (MOT) added its voice to the tech sector's chorus of boos Thursday as it warned of a third-quarter revenue shortfall.
The struggling wireless equipment maker projected that third-quarter revenue would be flat with the second quarter's $7.5 billion, due to continuing softness in the end markets for mobile phones, wireless base station equipment and chips. When the company delivered its third-quarter outlook on July 12, it projected a 5% sequential rise; accordingly, analysts had projected third-quarter revenue of $7.8 billion.
Motorola shares dropped 9% to $14.95.
Motorola projected a third-quarter loss of 5 cents to 8 cents a share, slightly wider than earlier projections by the company and the analysts who love it. The company said efforts in its mobile-phone and large satellite and radio-systems business will narrow the third-quarter loss from the second quarter's 11 cents a share. Motorola, which has been aggressively cutting costs, also said it would cut an additional 2,000 jobs from the wireless-systems business; it has laid off 32,000 workers companywide in 2001.Earlier this week, similarly beleaguered competitor Ericsson (ERICY) warned investors it did not expect to see a recovery in the wireless market through 2002.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV