The Daily Interview: A Time for Deal-Making in the Energy Sector?
Earlier this week,
Santa Fe International
(SDC) announced that it would buy
(GLM) for $3 billion in stock. That represented a 16% premium over Friday's closing price. On the heels of that deal,
(DVN) said that it agreed to purchase Canadian exploration and production company
(AXN) for about $3.4 billion in cash. That deal represented a 50% premium. Are more deals in the energy sector on the way?
Recent Daily Interviews
Scott Walters, a trader at Toronto-based Research Capital, chatted with TheStreet.com about that possibility, in addition to share prices, oil and gas supply and other energy-related topics.
TSC: Why are we seeing a consolidation in the industry between Canadian and American companies?
Walters: Canadian companies offer a compelling value to U.S. companies as targets, due to the cheap Canadian dollar and fairly cheap acquisition costs. But now Devon steps up to the plate and buys Anderson and pays a big premium in a very weak market. Americans are looking forward to seeing a much stronger gas market, and they have to replace the reserves. They're not having any luck finding it in the Gulf of Mexico, so they have to look north to Canada in the Mackenzie Delta Region and a lot of other frontier properties.
Anderson has a good asset base in Western Canada in the Mackenzie Delta Region, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon. Those are gas-rich areas that are relatively inexpensive to purchase, and by buying Anderson, Devon is getting expertise in that area, great land and good producing assets.
TSC: What is your opinion of the high premium Devon paid for Anderson in such a weak market?Walters: Anderson is really a crown jewel in Canada, and you have to pay top dollar for that. TSC: Will this consolidation continue? Walters: We saw a two-month break, but judging from the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV