JJC Sniffs a Selling Opportunity in S&L Stocks
S&Ls are textbook plays. They always perform to the textbook. That means you buy them when the Fed is about to ease and you sell them when the Fed is done easing, because, when it is done easing, you are close to tightening. You short them when you are on the verge of a tightening.
The savings and loans were rocked for losses last week, and it was a clarion call that the move is done, over, kaput in this best-performing group. Yesterday we had a countertrend rally back to higher levels, something that I think will continue with the futures ramping today.
I would use the strength to sell this group. I feel strongly that you have to anticipate that last Fed ease and start scaling out now. If I owned Golden West (GDW) or Golden State (GSB) or Staten Island Bank (SIB), I would let some stock go, right now, and keep selling until the position vanishes on the next Fed ease.I own none of these stocks. I can't short. I am just calling them as I see them, and as I would have called them if I owned this group. Random musings: Now you are talking. We are getting some terrific calls, and I need more of them! 1-800-862-8686, and I don't wear pom-poms on the show!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV