Disney Dissidents Are Disappointed
Disney (DIS) dissidents Roy Disney and Stanley Gold won't nominate an alternative director slate for the 2005 meeting, saying they believe the company's board is making progress in serving the interest of shareholders.
Disney and Gold, who last winter led a shareholder revolt against what they called the imperial rule of CEO Michael Eisner, lauded the board for committing to find an outside candidate to succeed Eisner with due speed.
The letter hardly looks to be the start of a feelgood period, though. Gold and Disney took exception with the company's failure to appoint certain independent directors, along with other corporate governance matters.
"As encouraged as we've been by the Board's response to the events at the last annual meeting, we were more than a little disheartened by Messrs. Eisner and Mitchell's rejection of all three independent Board candidates recommended by a group of six leading public pension funds after requesting their recommendations more than six months ago," the dissidents said in a letter to the Disney board. "After last year's shareholder revolt, we had hoped this year the Board would be more receptive to input from concerned stockholders."On Friday, Disney slipped a quarter, to $27.37.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV