MIAMI -- Burger King (BKC) said Monday that it reached out to Twitter to suspend its account after an apparent hack.
Starting just after noon Eastern time on Monday, the fast-food company's Twitter picture was changed to a McDonald's (MCD) logo, the background picture changed to McDonald's new Fish McBites product and the account tweeted that it had been sold to rival McDonald's.
Some posts from the account contained racial epithets, references to drug use and obscenities. The account has also tweeted: "if I catch you at a wendys, we're fightin!"
Burger King Worldwide spokesman Bryson Thornton told The Associated Press that the company reached out to Twitter administrators to suspend the account. The account has not posted since about 1:15 EST.The Miami company plans to post a statement on Facebook later today to apologize, especially for the offensive posts. It hopes to have the account back up soon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV