FDA Rejects J&J Leukemia Drug
The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday rejected an application by Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) for a new drug to treat a form of blood and bone marrow cancer called acute myeloid leukemia.
The rejection wasn't a surprise; an FDA advisory committee voted 7-4 against the drug, Zarnestra, last month, saying that J&J hadn't done enough research. J&J's application was based on data from just one phase II clinical trial. The FDA usually requires three sets of clinical trials, with phase III being the largest and most comprehensive test of a drug's safety and efficacy.
J&J, in a prepared statement, says it "remains committed" to developing the drug and adds that it is studying the FDA rejection letter so it can "determine appropriate next steps." The company didn't disclose the reasons why the FDA rejected the application.
J&J was seeking FDA approval for treating elderly patients for whom ordinary chemotherapy isn't appropriate. J&J says acute myeloid leukemia will strike nearly 12,000 Americans this year.J&J's stock lost 71 cents, or 1.1%, to $64.99.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV