Medtronic vs. Obesity
Medtronic (MDT) agreed to acquire Transneuronix, a privately held medical device company focused on the treatment of obesity, for an initial cost of about $260 million, and left open the possibility of additional payments if certain revenue goals are met.
Transneuronix treats obesity by stimulating the stomach with an implantable pacemaker-like device that delivers electrical pulses. Medtronic, a medical-device maker based in Minneapolis, expects to close the transaction within the week.
The acquisition follows Medtronic's recent plan to form a new business unit called Medtronic Obesity Management. "The acquisition of Transneuronix plays a key part in our strategy to deliver therapeutic solutions for the worldwide challenges of obesity," the company said in a press release. "Because obesity is linked to so many associated health problems, there is a great sense of urgency to find successful long-term treatment options for these patients."
Additionally, Medtronic is starting a feasibility trial to test the safety and efficacy of gastric electrical stimulation for the treatment of obesity in patients with Type 2 diabetes. The first implant took place June 7 at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla in San Diego.The Appetite Suppression Induced by Stimulation Trial (ASSIST) is designed to determine whether Type 2 diabetes patients with concomitant obesity who receive gastric electrical stimulation have a minimum mean excess weight loss greater than a control group. The trial will evaluate excess weight loss and glycemic control. Shares of Medtronic were down 31 cents to $52.59.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV