Gilead Seeks to End Roche Pact
Gilead (GILD) plans to split from its flu pill partner Roche for its "lack of commitment," the company said Thursday.
The Foster City, Calif., company said it wants to cut loose from its Swiss partner for breaching a 1996 agreement for the development and licensing of Tamiflu, an antiviral pill used to treat and prevent influenza. Gilead said it has sent Roche a notice of termination.
"Despite our repeated communication of concerns over the last several years," said Dr. John C. Martin, president and chief executive of Gilead, "Roche has not adequately demonstrated the requisite commitment to Tamiflu since its launch in the United States nearly six years ago, nor has it allocated the necessary resources to realize the potential of the product as a treatment and preventive for influenza."
Elsewhere, developing countries are stocking up on the antiviral drug, and last month, Roche quadrupled its production capacity, in case a human flu pandemic caused by evolving strains of the avian flu plaguing Asia should break out.Gilead shares were up $1.43, or 3%, to $42.85 in after-hours trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV