Connetics Gets Bad News From FDA
Shares of Connetics (CNCT) were sinking in premarket trading Monday after the company said the Food and Drug Administration issued a nonapprovable letter for Velac Gel, an investigational new drug formulation for treating acne.
The company said the only issue raised in the letter was a positive carcinogenicity signal that was detected in a mouse study. Connetics, a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on dermatology, saw its shares slide $4.27, or 21%, to $16.50 before the opening bell.
As a result of the FDA decision, Connetics now projects 2005 total revenue of $182 million to $188 million, down from its previous guidance of $195 million to $206 million. Earnings will likely be 66 cents to 70 cents a share, vs. the prior outlook of 88 cents to 92 cents a share.
"We remain committed to bringing Velac to market, and will be working with FDA representatives to determine what is required to do so," the company said in a press release. "Despite this setback, Connetics will continue to expand its leading position in the dermatology field with four brands on the market and a robust and diverse pipeline."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV