Options Trade Cost Steve Jobs $4 Billion
If you're kicking yourself for missing out on Apple (AAPL) right now, you're not alone. iPhone mania (should we now coin the phrase "i-Mania" for the next Apple product?) has sent the stock soaring to an all-time high. The stock is up a stunning 1,600% since early 2003.
No one thought it would come this far. Even those who got in early, and stayed along for the amazing ride, wish they owned a lot more.
One name on that list will astonish you: Steve Jobs.
Yes, him.I can reveal that the Apple CEO missed out on more than $4 billion in personal profit on Apple stock, thanks to a decision he made to cut his exposure to the stock four years ago. Four billion dollars. And change. Do you think he'd like this one back? Apple media relations declined to comment. It was early 2003 when Jobs and the board sat down to consider a problem. He had been hard at work rescuing the company since 1997, but his main compensation had been in the form of a $90 million airplane and a huge chunk of stock options that the tech crash had left worthless. Most of the options had been granted at much higher prices. By early 2003 Apple stock was down 80% from its peak. The astonishing success of the iPod and iTunes remained mostly in the future, and Wall Street wasn't much interested.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV