Wynn Posts Mixed Quarter
Wynn's overall revenue beat estimates, but earnings per share came in a penny lower than consensus expectations. The results sent Wynn shares down 4% in recent after-hours trading Thursday.
A day earlier, Las Vegas Sands earnings widely missed analyst estimates because of weak results at its Venetian Macau property, which is now the world's largest casino.
Wynn's total revenue rose 23% to $778.7 million, beating the $734.4 million analyst estimate from Thomson Financial.Adjusted net income was $78.2 million, or 69 cents a share, compared with profit of $72.6 million, or 67 cents a share, a year earlier. Analysts expected 70 cents on this basis. Revenue at the Wynn Macau rose 61% from a year earlier, with adjusted property EBITDA increasing 64%. The property benefited from stronger-than-expected VIP win of 3%, which is the percentage of gambling volume the casino keeps. Wynn Macau had a 26.3% EBITDA margin in the quarter, compared to the 24.2% margin at the Sand's Venetian Macau. Wynn's Las Vegas results were less rosy, with adjusted EBITDA falling 38% from a year earlier. Overall casino revenue dropped 28% at the property. Las Vegas casinos continue to defy the old adage that gambling is recession-proof. This time around, the weak U.S. consumer is hurting casinos and other consumer discretionary sectors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV