WSJ's Managing Editor Resigns
Updated from 8:52 a.m. EDT
Marcus Brauchli, the managing editor of The Wall Street Journal, resigned today, roughly four months after Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. (NWS) bought the paper's parent company Dow Jones.
Brauchli, 46 years old, had been in the job less than a year. He made the resignation official in a statement made jointly with Les Hinton, the CEO of Dow Jones.
In a letter to the Journal's staff, Brauchli said, "now that the ownership transition has taken place, I have come to believe the new owners should have a managing editor of their choosing."The Wall Street Journal itself says today that Robert Thomson, the paper's publisher, may take over as interim managing editor. He was already actively involved in editorial matters at Dow Jones publications. Dow Jones said the search for a new managing editor will begin immediately. The press release added that Brauchli will take on a new role with News Corp., in which he will "provide guidance to senior management in a wide range of areas, from advising The Wall Street Journal to exploring the possibility of a business news channel for STAR-TV in Asia." "Marcus has been a terrific leader throughout the transition process and I have great respect for him," Murdoch said in the release. "I am pleased he has accepted this new role in News Corporation and believe his experience will be a great asset, especially in Asia." Brauchli took over the top job from longtime managing editor Paul Steiger last May. He had served in many previous roles at the Journal, including deputy managing editor and global news editor, and had spent a significant amount of time working overseas, particularly in Asia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV