Wildfires Could Singe Three Insurers
There's just one month left in the hurricane season, and not a single major storm has made landfall in the U.S., but property casualty insurers aren't off the hook entirely: The driest brush in years has sparked wildfires throughout Southern California, causing upwards of a billion dollars in damage.
As terrible as this week's fires have been, they aren't the biggest this year. According to the National Interagency Fire Center, Idaho has suffered the most, with 1.98 million acres burned in wildfires so far. As of Wednesday, California ranked a distant second at just over 1 million acres, although that figure is no doubt changing rapidly. And the damages in California are likley to be bigger, since it is much more densely populated.
Montana, Nevada and Utah round out the top five states in terms of acres burned.
Exposure in the five Western states that have suffered the most fires so far this year is highly concentrated, with only three insurers on the hook for half of all of the homeowner risk.
|Insurers with Most Exposure to Fire-Prone States|
|Source: TheStreet.com Ratings|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV