VMware Soars to New High
SAN FRANCISCO -- Shares of virtualization darling VMware (VMW) broke through to a new high Monday after bullish coverage initiations from seven of the company's IPO underwriters.
The stock was recently up $5.86, or 7.4%, to $85.17.
(EMC), which retains ownership of 86% of VMware,
Given VMWare's ever-rising price target, analysts may be feeling pressured to meet loftier views of the stock's potential.While UBS' 12-month target looks bullish at $92, it's tame next to Citigoup's $100 target price. Bank of America valued the stock at $75 and gave it one of four neutral or hold ratings Monday. Three analysts ranked the stock a buy. VMware is an investment-banking client of all the firms. Previous coverage by analysts whose firms did not participate in the IPO give the stock a more moderate $66 median price target, according to Thomson Financial. In explaining her $92 target, UBS analyst Heather Bellini compared VMware to Google (GOOG) "as a sanity check," because both companies are the leaders in fast-growth markets. "We believe VMware could post similar upside to estimates as Google did in the first year after going public," she wrote. Google beat earnings estimates by about 30% on average during its first year. Citigroup analyst Brent Thill noted his $100 price target gives credit to a strong growth rate and assumes a price-to-earnings-to-growth (PEG) ratio of 2.3 -- assuming a three-year earnings growth rate of 39% and that the stock trades at 89 times earnings. Thill gave the stock a high risk rating.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV