Virgin America Gears Up for Debut
Virgin America will finally take off Wednesday, three years after the start-up carrier unveiled its initial operating plan.
A lot has changed in that time. Most importantly, Virgin's base, San Francisco International Airport, welcomed two low-cost rivals. JetBlue (JBLU) began flying from there to New York's Kennedy Airport in May, and Southwest (LUV) will begin flying Aug. 26 to Chicago, San Diego and Las Vegas.
Meanwhile, a succession of bankruptcies caused costs to plummet at the legacy carriers that fly many of the trans-continental routes being targeted by Virgin America. Costly flight delays surged at the major airports Virgin wants to serve. And the Transportation Department ruled earlier this year that Virgin CEO Fred Reid must leave his post six months after the airline starts flying.
Virgin announced its name, its order for Airbus jets and the basics of an operating plan in June 2004. It applied to the DOT in December 2005, triggering objections from U.S. carriers and labor unions.This past May, after continuing adjustments by Virgin, the agency mandated various additional changes -- including Reid's departure -- to ensure that Virgin's relationship with U.K.-based Virgin Group and its chairman, Richard Branson, does not violate requirements mandating that U.S. citizens control U.S. airlines. Reid says Virgin has not been deterred, but instead has adapted. "We're not as
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV