UAL Swings to Loss; Sees Added Job Cuts
UAL (UAUA), the operator of United Airlines, said a 54% surge in fuel costs pushed it to a second-quarter loss, and the carrier laid out plans to expand its job cuts.
Excluding special items, UAL lost $151 million, or $1.19 a share, in the latest quarter. Revenue rose 3% to $5.37 billion and was roughly in line with estimates. UAL had a profit of $1.83 a share last year.
With noncash accounting expenses, including a $2.3 billion charge for goodwill impairment and $82 million in severance costs, the company lost $2.7 billion, or $21.47 a share.
Fuel costs rose by $773 million in the quarter. "Our industry is challenged as never before by the unrelenting price of oil," said CEO Glenn Tilton in a prepared statement. "The elimination of our entire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV