The True Cost of an iPhone? Try $17,670
Hey -- did you hear about the $17,670 iPhone?
No, it's not a gold-plated version designed for Paris Hilton.
It's the one everybody's buying. The one in your local Apple (AAPL) store.
You may even have bought one ... without realizing it.That's because, for most Americans, the true cost of Steve Jobs' latest "must-have" product isn't what's on the sticker. It's what they had to plunder from their retirement savings -- if any -- to pay for it. Do the math ... if you can stand it. A $599 iPhone comes with a minimum service plan of $60 a month for two years. Outlay: $2,039. But if it's not a work expense, a customer in, say, the 25% tax bracket actually had to earn $2,720 to pay the bill. Sound bad? It's even worse. Take an iPhone customer who's 30 years old and is not maxing out contributions to his or her 401(k) retirement plan (few are). In that case, the $2,720 could have been invested tax free. Earning a pretty reasonable 5.5% after inflation over the next 35 years, it would have grown to ... $17,670. You read that right. In short: That's how much this customer withdrew from retirement savings to pay for an iPhone. And if he or she used a credit card and takes a year to pay off the debt, the true cost rises above $19,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV