Tech IPOs Shut Out the Little Guy
With the merger market slowing down, IPOs -- particularly those in the tech sector -- are on their way back. But, as usual, there's a catch: They're back with a twist, one that's unlikely to serve the interests of most individual investors.
More and more, when big-name tech companies file to go public, the fine print includes terms that are favorable only for insiders.
These terms are completely legal, but they often leave the majority of voting power in the hands of founders or a parent company; they allow deep-pocketed investors to buy a chunk of the company at the last minute at a steep discount; and they often shovel a disconcerting portion of IPO proceeds to key investors.
In some ways it started innocently enough back in 2004, when
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV