Street to Apple: Prove It
SAN FRANCISCO -- Apple's (AAPL) fourth-quarter results after Monday's closing bell may show whether the recent innovation will validate a soaring stock.
The company showed its mettle during the quarter with an impressive update of its blockbuster iPod franchise and the increasingly popular line of Mac computers. It also made a wise -- albeit poorly timed -- midcourse correction to the price of its iPhone, which propelled sales above 1 million in early September.
As a result, Apple's stock has notched a series of all-time highs since mid-September.
On Friday, the stock fell along with the rest of the market, but still managed to close at $170.42, just below an all-time high of $173.50 reached in the previous trading session.Analysts have helped fuel investors' expectations by steadily raising fourth-quarter earning estimates to an average of 86 cents a share on $6 billion in revenue, well above the company's forecast of 65 cents a share and $5.7 billion in sales. While the iPod and iPhone have enjoyed much of the limelight, Apple's growth story is predicated mostly on the Mac. In the previous three quarters, Mac sales have outpaced other Apple products by increasing their contribution to sales from 36% to 41%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV