Sirius Soars on Deal Chatter
Shares in the companies rose more than 6% after analysts at Cowen & Co. said they expect the deal to close next month. Also Wednesday, RealMoney.com's Jim Cramer said Sirius stock could hit $6 if the deal closes this year, as he expects -- but could fall to $2.50 if it doesn't.
Both XM and Sirius have seen their shares swoon since they announced their all-stock tie-up in February. Wall Street has been skeptical that regulators would approve the deal, given that the two are the only players in the satellite radio market. But the companies have argued that they compete in a much bigger media universe that includes free radio and recorded music played on Apple's (AAPL) iPod devices, among others.
In a note to clients Wednesday, Cowen analyst Tom Watts writes that the outlook on the merger is the "best ever." Watts goes on to predict that the deal gets approved next month.Cramer backed up his bullish stance by saying a chat with Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin showed the executive is optimistic that all the issues that could derail the deal have been resolved. The news comes ahead of next Monday's scheduled appearance by Karmazin at the Merrill Lynch Global Investor Media Conference in California. On Wednesday, XM rose $1.10 to $14.72, and Sirius rose 21 cents to $3.52.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV