Seven Ways to Prepare for a Layoff
Job security is a dodgy notion.
Just ask employees at Yahoo!. They're waiting out rumors that the tech giant will slash hundreds, or possibly thousands, of jobs to increase profitability and help rejuvenate its stock price.
The Yahoo! layoffs aren't likely to be an isolated event in the coming year.
With the economy teetering on the edge of recession and showing signs of an economic slowdown, so-called secure jobs really aren't.
If you don't have an
One of the actions that the government has taken to try to stave off a recession is to lower interest rates, which it did in an emergency session last week by 75 basis points, and may lower them by another 25 basis points at the Fed's regularly scheduled meeting this week. With interest rates so low, it's a great time to begin looking at whether it's possible to lower the interest rates on your current debt and to lock in rates if you have adjustable-interest-rate debt. While you may still want to wait a few months to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV