Sears Steps Up Restoration Hardware Pursuit
In a regulatory filing Monday, Sears Holdings disclosed that it is prepared to offer $6.75 a share for Restoration Hardware. That bid is higher than Restoration's current $6.70-a-share buyout agreement with a group led by private-equity firm Catterton Partners.
In a letter to Restoration Hardware's board last week, Sears said it would contemplate a merger agreement "substantially similar" to the Catterton deal, modified for a tender offer structure and a lower break-up fee. Sears is seeking to enter a confidentiality agreement with the company to do due diligence, but said in its letter that Restoration hasn't agreed to such a plan.
On Sunday, Restoration Hardware's special board committee informed Sears that it was unwilling to enter into a confidentiality agreement providing for a tender offer exception, Sears Holding's filing said.Sears Holdings, owner of the Kmart and Sears chains, disclosed last week that it bought a 13.7% stake in Restoration Hardware and was mulling an offer for the company. According to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing, Sears Holding Chairman Ed Lampert met with Restoration Hardware executives over the summer and in late October offered $4 a share for the company. But Catterton, along with Restoration Hardware CEO Gary Friedman, came along in early November with the $6.70 a share bid -- a 150% premium over the stock's price when the deal was announced.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV