Ron Paul Needs Votes More Than Cash
Paul's campaign must be buoyed by news that his supporters will hold another large fund-raiser for him. The event, scheduled for Jan. 21, has been dubbed "Free at Last" in honor of Martin Luther King Day.
The campaign has plans ahead of other primaries, as well, including events in Myrtle Beach, S.C. The South Carolina primary for Republicans is Jan. 19, a week ahead of the Democratic primary. Paul has received 5% support in the most recent polls there -- far less than he had in Iowa and New Hampshire. The campaign will have to hustle to make a decent showing in South Carolina.
Don't Rule Out Independent Run
In my interview with Paul in New Hampshire, he seemed realistic about his chances. He understands that his campaign must continue to gather support in the polls, not just on the Internet. I asked him in particular whether he's a real conservative, because the word conservative has been used so liberally by all of the Republican candidates.Conservative ideology prefers small government to big, free markets to regulation and nonintervention to alliances. Paul finds it hard to believe someone like Rudy Giuliani might be seen as the face of Republican Party. In New Hampshire, I also interviewed Paul's son, Rand Paul, who said not to rule out his father running as an independent. Ron Paul has overcome many challenges. He has gone from an obscure candidate with only a message to one with faithful supporters and millions of dollars on hand. But if he doesn't move higher than fourth or fifth place in the very near future, I see his campaign ending after Super Tuesday, Feb. 5. No matter what happens in the next month, it will have been an impressive run.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV