Microsoft, Yahoo! at It Again, Report Says
A short post on TechCrunch raised speculation that the two sides could be talking again. One source told the site that Microsoft may be considering a lower bid than the $33 a share it had last offered Yahoo! before the merger deal collapsed in May.
Shares of Yahoo! were up 3.5%, or 74 cents to $22.19 in recent trading.
This is the first real boost Yahoo! has gotten since announcing less than two weeks ago that it had broken off discussions with Microsoft about selling its search business, an alternative to an outright takeover.Instead, Yahoo! agreed to outsource some of its online search ads to rival Google (GOOG), but that has not been enough to appease investors, many of whom had still been holding out for a Microsoft merger. The stock had been down ever since. TechCrunch's report comes one day after CNET speculated that Yahoo! could be negotiating with Microsoft again about selling its search business. Yahoo! declined to comment on Tuesday but in previous statements, it has said that it is not interested in selling that business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV