Report: RIM Preps Touch-Screen BlackBerry
The Wall Street Journal reports that Research In Motion (RIMM) is planning to release its touch-screen Blackberry 9500 -- codenamed Thunder -- in the third quarter of this year.
The article states that Verizon Wireless will have a "lifetime" exclusive on the handset in the U.S. Vodafone (VOD), which is a partner in Verizon Wireless along with Verizon Communications (VZ), will be the exclusive agent worldwide.
This means the Thunder will probably be jammed-packed with radio circuitry - CDMA and EV-DO for the United States, as well as GSM/EVDO/EDGE/HSDPA for other countries. There's also information that states the phone will be able to handle what looks like the next big thing -- the 4G wireless data technology called LTE.
Today's report comes on the heels of RIM's announcement last week of its upcoming, feature-laden, AT&T/Blackberry Bold (T) cellphone, which is currently awaiting U.S. government two-way radio handset approvalIf the phone is indeed available by the third quarter, it will arrive just in time to compete with the second-generation Apple (AAPL) iPhone, the soon-to-be-ubiquitous Google-backed (GOOG) Gphone, Garmin's (GRMN) nuviphone, AT&T/LG's Vu, Sprint/Samsung Instinct (S), Sony/Ericsson's (SNE) (ERIC) Xperia, or any other upcoming smartphone you can think of.
RIM to Release iPhone Killer This Fall
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV