REIT Returns Tied to Tenants
The health of tenants not only is an important factor for commercial real estate landlords' profits; it is also closely tied to their stock prices.
New research from Bank of America shows that the stocks of office real estate investment trusts are generally correlated to the stocks of financial-related companies, which tend to make up a good portion of their tenant bases.
In addition, retail REITs, which own malls and shopping centers, are well correlated to retailer stocks, according to the report from analyst Christy McElroy.
Over a three-year and five-year period, the correlation between office REITs and the S&P IBK/Brokerage and Financial indices is around 0.95.In measuring correlation, a reading of 1.0 suggests the two sectors' stock prices move in the same direction at all times. Thus, the 0.95 reading means that office REITs and financial stocks are nearly always moving in lockstep fashion. The caveat, McElroy says, is that the year-to-date correlations have been skewed by the sharp rise in office REIT prices earlier this year. But during any time interval over the past 10 years, the correlation between office REITs and financial stocks has been 0.84 to 0.96, the analyst says. How is this information useful to investors? Well, for one, it shows how owning stocks in both sectors reduces diversification. It also suggests that investors can develop long/short trading strategies by using stocks and exchange-traded funds to hedge against losses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV