Realtors: '08 Sales to Improve, but Slump Isn't Over
The National Association of Realtors announced yesterday that existing-home sales are projected to show a slight increase in 2008, though many measures still indicate that housing is likely to remain weak for some time.
Existing-home sales are likely to total 5.67 million this year, falling 12.5% from the 6.48 million total in 2006. But the NAR now projects that sales will rise to 5.70 million in 2008, a slightly more optimistic forecast than it gave in November.
Pending home sales are well off year-ago levels but are inching upward on a monthly basis, according to recently released data based on October numbers. The Pending Home Sales Index, a forward-looking indicator based on contracts, increased in October to 87.2 from an upwardly revised reading of 86.7 in September. It was the second consecutive monthly gain, but it remained 18.4% below the October 2006 index of 106.8.
"The broad trend over the coming year will be a gradual rise in existing-home sales," said NAR Chief Economist Lawrence Yun in a press statement.But others were less optimistic. "We are not out of the woods yet. You are going to have to see three or four months of a pickup in activity to know it is getting better," says Alan Rosenbaum, CEO-founder of New York-based GuardHill Financial Corp, a high-end mortgage brokerage, who adds, "I am surprised by these numbers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV