Real Estate Stock-Picking: Hersha, Sunstone, Annaly
Editor's note: This was originally published on RealMoney. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
One of the most important tools in the investor's kit is a set of quantitative standards for measuring the health of a particular corporation's balance sheet and income statement. Too much emphasis is paid to the story of a particular company or the outlook for its business prospects. All too often, stories tend to have fictional elements to them, and the future is not predictable.
I realize that this flies in the face of typical Wall Street analysis with its carefully calculated forecasts. I find it hard at times not to laugh at all the well-educated men and women who believe their elaborate spreadsheets that predict earnings six or seven years out. They mean well, but the investing landscape is littered with these spreadsheets, and they are all pretty much worthless.
Opinions and forecasts are nice, but it is far more important to know how the health of a company is right now, and how well it is managing its business to produce profits right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV