Outlook Is Bleak at Williams-Sonoma
Updated from 10:21 a.m. EDT
Williams-Sonoma (WSM) eked out a 3% rise in fourth-quarter profits, beating its lowered targets, but the home-goods seller offered a weaker-than-expected outlook for the coming year as the housing slump continues to sap demand.
Shares of the company fell nearly 7% Thursday.
For the quarter ended Feb. 3, the San Francisco-based retailer earned $124.6 million, or $1.15 a share, up from $121.1 million, or $1.06 a share, a year earlier.The results were better than Williams-Sonoma's forecast in January for a profit of $1.11 to $1.14 a share. At the time, the company lowered its guidance from a prior projection of $1.19 to $1.25 after recording worse-than-anticipated holiday sales. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial forecast earnings of $1.12 a share. Revenue rose to $1.37 billion from $1.25 billion the prior year; same-store sales, or comps, slipped 0.1%. Same-store sales represent sales at stores open at least a year.
News You Need: Lennar Corp, Texas Industries
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV