O.J. Simpson Got $50,000 for Take-Two Game
Video-game maker Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) paid former football star O.J. Simpson $50,000 for the right to use his likeness in the company's controversial game All-Pro Football 2K8.
Simpson was paid $25,000 within 30 days of the contract being signed last January, with the rest scheduled to be paid within a month of the release of the game, according to a contract obtained by TheStreet.com between Take-Two and Justin Communications, which represented Simpson in the deal.
All-Pro Football 2K8 was released in July.
The signed contract also stated that if the deal between Take-Two and Simpson was renewed for an additional two years, Simpson would receive $50,000 in full upon renewal.However, Simpson likely didn't have much of a chance to enjoy his payday. Last month, a Los Angeles court ordered Simpson to turn over any royalties and licensing fees earned from the use of his likeness in the game to the estate of murder victim Ron Goldman. The court also ordered Simpson to turn over copies of the Take-Two contract and related financial documents. Simpson was accused in 1994 of the murder of his former wife, Nicole Brown, and her friend, Goldman. Simpson was acquitted of the murders in 1995, but two years later, a civil jury found him liable for the wrongful death of Goldman. The Goldman family won a $33.5 million judgment against Simpson from the civil suit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV