Novell's Quarterly Loss Widens
SAN FRANCISCO -- Auction-rate securities tripped up Novell's (NOVL) third-quarter bottom line Thursday, while margins improved.
The loss at the Linux software developer quadrupled to $15.1 million, or 4 cents a share, because of a $15 million writedown related to auction-rate securities. In the same quarter of last year, Novell posted a loss of $3.7 million, or a penny a share.
Revenue at the Waltham, Mass., company grew 3.5% to $245.2 million from $236.8 million in the same quarter of last year. Analysts were looking for a top line of $241.4 million, according to Thomson Reuters.
Excluding items, EPS was 6 cents, a penny better than analysts' estimates. The operating margin, less charges, was 9.9%, vs. 6.1% in the same quarter a year ago.Shares of Novell were off 10 cents in recent after-hours trading to $5.91. Total deferred revenue stood at $726 million, vs. $734 million one year ago. For the full fiscal year, the company projected revenue of $940 million to $970 million, implying fourth-quarter revenue of $228 million to $258 million. Analysts were expecting revenue of $250.7 million and EPS, less items, of 6 cents. Excluding special charges, full-year operating margin is now expected to be between 8% and 10%, one percentage point higher on each end of the range. Novell competes with Red Hat (RHT) as a supplier of Linux operating system software.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV