Navistar Wins Big MRAP Order
Updated from 7:06 p.m. EST
When the U.S. military placed its final MRAP order of the year -- handing out three contracts worth a combined $2.66 billion -- Navistar walked away with more than 40% of the order for itself. In fact, so did British-owned BAE. That left Force Protection -- once the leader of the group -- with less than 15% of the total share.
The news, disclosed late Tuesday, wrecked Force Protection's stock once again. The shares, already battered this month by concerns about this order, plunged 31% to $4.09 in after-hours trading.At this point, it seems, MRAP has a new leader. Navistar's International Military and Government division scored a $1.12 billion contract for 1,500 of its Category I MRAP vehicles. In contrast, Force Protection will collect $378 million for 178 of its Category I and 180 of its Category II MRAP vehicles combined. Navistar specializes in the lighter Category I vehicles, while Force Protection -- until now -- has managed to dominate orders for heavier vehicles in the Category II arena. This time around, however, the U.S. military actually awarded its largest Category II contract to a foreign-owned operator instead. BAE fielded a $645 million order for 600 of its heavy-duty Category II vehicles. Armor Holdings, which was recently acquired by BAE, secured a $458 million order for 668 of its Category II vehicles as well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV