Monday's ETF Winners & Losers
The PowerShares Lux Nanotech (PXN) exchange-traded fund was the top performer of Monday's winning session, thanks to large gains in several of its holdings.
The PowerShares Lux Nanotech ETF was recently higher by 83 cents, or 4.8%, to $18.16.
An earnings beat by Merck (MRK) boosted several pharmaceutical ETFs. The Pharmaceutical HOLDRs (PPH) was gaining $1.78, or 2.2%, to $82.55. The SPDR S&P Pharmaceuticals (XPH) rose 57 cents, or 1.6%, to $35.88. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Pharmaceuticals (IHE) was up 86 cents, or 1.5%, to $56.62.Bundled securities tracking Chinese markets were also among the winners to start the week. Overnight, China's CSI 300 Index jumped nearly 5%. The iShares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index (FXI) ETF climbed $4.37, or 3.2%, to $142.61. The SPDR S&P China (GXC) was adding $2.36, or 3.2%, to $75.15. The SPDR S&P Emerging Asia Pacific (GMF) was tacking on $2.09, or 2.7%, to $80.08. On the flip side, the United States Natural Gas (UNG) ETF was the biggest loser, as natural gas futures fell by 35 cents to $6.09 per million British thermal units. The ETF was falling by $2.09, or 5.1%, to $39.01. Oil-related ETFs were also losing ground, as the new front-month September crude contract shed 89 cent to $74.90 a barrel. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Oil & Gas Exploration Index (IEO) was down 96 cents, or 1.6%, to $59.42. The SPDR S&P Oil & Gas Exploration & Production (XOP) was lower by 71 cents, or 1.5%, to $47.09. The United States Oil (USO) ETF was off 76 cents, or 1.3%, to $56.24.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV