Kass: Ain't Seen Nothing Yet on Writedowns
10/30/2007 7:32 AM EDT
I've been discussing lately the recent dichotomy between the performance of equities and of mortgage credit. That is, stocks have continued their ascent, while various subprime mortgage-based ABX indices have dropped precipitously.
Specifically, the AAA-rated ABX Index (for home loans made in the second half of last year) dropped under 80.0, down almost 3.50 from Friday's close of 83.4. The lesser-rated AA-rated ABX Index traded under 48.0 after closing at over 52.0 on Friday.The divergence between the equity and mortgage credit markets remains counterintuitive; what troubles me the most is that the mortgage credit issues will not likely be resolved anytime soon. A cut in interest rates won't turn the mortgage debt market around, and based on the maturing economic cycle (among other factors), the worst is probably yet to come -- and with it will be a broader contagion into other areas of the economy. Should these trends continue -- and I believe they will -- fourth-quarter writedowns in many financial institutions, including American International Group (AIG), Citigroup (C), Merrill Lynch (MER) and so on will be much greater than anticipated.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV