Big Wynn Boosts Casino Stocks
Updated from Aug. 6
Wynn Resorts (WYNN) shares vaulted 13% Tuesday after the casino operator blew away analysts' second-quarter earnings estimates amid strong results at both its Las Vegas and Macau casinos.
The report also buoyed other casino owners, particularly those operating in Macau, as it soothed worries that visa restrictions in the Chinese region were hurting traffic.
Wynn said late Monday that it swung to a second-quarter profit of $89.6 million, or 82 cents a share, from a year-earlier loss of $20.1 million, or 20 cents per share a year earlier.On an adjusted basis, the earnings were 92 cents a share, compared with the 53-cent average estimate from analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial. Wynn's net revenue more than doubled to $687.5 million from $273.4 million last year. That topped the $603.7 million that Wall Street expected. "Bonds Hits 755, A-Rod Hits 500, Wynn Hits It Out of the Park," read the headline on a research report from Jefferies & Co. analyst Larry Klatzkin. Numerous sell-side analysts increased their 2007 and 2008 earnings estimates for Wynn after the report. The company's two casinos -- the Wynn Las Vegas and Wynn Macau -- each reported impressive results. The Las Vegas property saw property cash flow grow 58%, with improved margins. Net revenue rose to $159.4 million from $113.5 million last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV