H&R Block Sells Financial Advisors Unit
The deal, expected to close in four to six months, is subject to certain adjustments and advisor retention at the time of closing, H&R Block says. It expects the deal to generate cash proceeds of $340 million. H&R Block currently has 900 advisors that oversee 376,000 clients and $30 billion of assets under management. Ameriprise Financial, formerly a unit of American Express (AXP), was spun off from its parent company in 2005.
The sale agreement is the latest retrenchment for the Kansas City, Mo.-based tax preparation company as it focuses on its bread and butter business.
Earlier this year, after much fanfare, H&R Block finally sold the servicing business of its subprime mortgage lender, Option One to Wilbur Ross. The company was originally supposed to sell the entire business to Cerberus Capital, but as market conditions worsened in the credit and housing markets, the deal fell through."The securities brokerage business increasingly demands size and scale, and
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV